Sunday, March 18, 2012

Home Depot

Home Depot: Home Depot is pretty awesome.  It's chock full of stuff that you may or may not actually be able to do, but it's okay they're keen for you to give it a try.  Need an arc welder?  They've got that and they'll sell it to you too.  What's that you say?  You've never used an arc welder before and have no idea what your doing?  No problem.  They take cash or credit cards.  Actually I'm pretty handy myself.  Not in a Cliff Huxtable-think I'm handy but I'm actually not way, but actually handy.  I'm pretty sure it's genetic.  My dad is an honest-to-God handy-man.  If it's in Home Depot, he's either used it before or would have no problem using it now.  When something goes kaflooey in our house and I've no idea how to fix it, I just call dad and he tells me what to do.  There's something very empowering about fixing stuff yourself.  For example, today I installed a ceiling fan, a shelf in a closet and some curtains.  Most of it was bought at HD.  And here's the best part, doing it yourself is cheaper.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.  We had a light installed a few months ago and I could have done it myself except for the fact that it was at the top of our foyer which is two stories tall.  I don't own a ladder that big, so we had to hire an electrician.  It took him 20 minutes tops to set up his ladder, take out the old light and put in the new.  It cost me around $300 (and that's not counting the cost of the light).  Today I installed the ceiling fan I mentioned earlier.  That cost me about an hour of time.  I don't know about you, but I don't get paid $300 an hour, so that's a pretty good deal in my book.  In the end, I should have installed that light myself.  The ladder would have cost less than $300 and I could have bought it at Home Depot.

Home Depot: A

No comments:

Post a Comment