Friday, August 3, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Amazing Spider-Man: A lot of people's complaint with this movie was simply that it was too soon to reboot Spider-man.  I like Tobey Maguire's adaptation and would have been glad to see another with him in it, but my understanding is that he said 'no thanks'.  So, I have no problem with the restart.  In fact when everything was said and done (and seen) I say, 'thanks!'.

There were definitely some changes to the traditional Spider-man genesis story but nothing too egregious. When I saw that Martin Sheen was going to be Uncle Ben I thought it a perfect match.  When I saw Sally Fields was going to be Aunt May I groaned, but not because she wasn't a good fit for the part, in truth she was perfect.[1]

I appreciate the director not rubbing our noses in the death of Uncle Ben.  It has to happen.  It happens and we move on.  I also appreciated some of the stuff that was cleverly left out of the movie.  For instance not giving Norman Osborne a visible face.  Meaning they can cast whoever they want later on.  Also doing the same thing with J. Jonah Jameson.  And they left the capture of Ben's killer unresolved for future goodness in another movie.

I also like that they didn't skip the Gwen Stacy part of Peter's life.  Good to see that arc finally show up in a movie.  Even if it doesn't end well in the end.[2]

I do think that the face of the Lizard was kind of lacking.  Don't know if it was a conscious choice or more of a CGI limitation choice or what but his face was less Lizard and more Voldemort imo.  In fact in the one scene where the Lizard has Spider-man in his grasp and he leans forward and says, "Poor Peter Parker", I was struck by how the look of the scene and the intonation of the Lizard could almost have been Voldemort holding Harry saying, "Poor Harry Potter."

Finally, I can't finish without acknowledging the groan inducing "feel good" scene with the cranes.  Of course, I also have to acknowledge that similar groan inducing scenes tend to show up the Spider-man comics from time to time[3].  So, I can't fault them for staying true to the comics.

The Amazing Spider-Man: A

[1] - More because somewhere along the line I've developed an odd aversion to Sally Fields showing up in stuff.  Then once I actually watch whatever it is, I get over it.  She's a good actress.
[2] - But in the end I like Mary Jane better anyway.
[3] - The ending of the Maximum Carnage arc almost killed my soul.  (At least I think it was that one, I'm blocking the memory.)

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't going to see this movie, but as your Dark Knight review was so incredibly similar to my own, I think I may have to watch this haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had several people try to persuade me I was wrong on the Dark Knight and I'm sure I'll see it again at some point, but for now I'm sticking to my guns for that and Spider-man.

    ReplyDelete