Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bedtime

Bedtime: What is it about bedtime that causes my son to become a complete idiot?  Normally he is a very good and well behaved boy, but as soon as it is bedtime he turns into someone else.  (Someone else that is a complete pain in the patoot.) Don't get me wrong, I can sympathize.   While it may have a been a few years, I can remember not wanting to go to bed.  Yes, it is dark outside.  Yes, we have to get up early in the morning.  Yes, going to bed late means a cranky poo-head tomorrow.  But sorry mom and dad, my day isn't done yet.  I still have things to do.  I mean, we haven't even played Candy Land yet!  When I got to high high school it got even worse.  I watched Late Night with David Letterman most nights when I was in high school and this back in the day, so he didn't come on at 11:30.  Late Night started at 12:30 and while I don't really remember the exact time I got up in the morning, I do remember it was early.  Don't ask me how I got the grades I did, because I must have been asleep at the time.  Bed time was an inconvenience, an interruption and an annoyance.  Sure I was tired, but I was busy.  And then somewhere in between my college years and now something changed.  Going to bed still means that my day is over and perhaps even what feels like prematurely, but I don't really mind as much.  The sweet siren song of my pillow calls to me and I'm off to bed.  And usually with little fuss or trouble, I'm asleep in no time.* As I write this, it is 8:10.  If you asked me in high school or college about the possibility of me happily going to bed at 8:10, I would have laughed myself silly.  But as they say, time changes all things.  So, if you'll pardon me, I think I'm going to bed.**

Bedtime: B+

* - Of course nobody beats my wife at going to sleep.  She literally can be asleep before her head hits the pillow.  Here's and actual conversation.  Her: Goodnight.  Me: Goodnight.  Her: ZZZZZZZZZZ.  Announcer: Total elapsed time: 1.2 seconds.  A new Olympic record!!!!!!!!

** - For the record, I'll probably read until 9:30 or so.  Yeah, I know what you're thinking.  Stay up reading until 9:30!  He's a crazy man!

No comments:

Post a Comment