Thursday, February 1, 2018

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers:  Every since they opened up a location near my work, I have been itching to go eat at Freddy's.  Today I finally managed to do it.

Early inquiries to others that had already been there generally garnered responses that were something akin to: "It's a lot like Steak & Shake."

It's not.

I personally find Steak & Shakes burgers to be pretty mediocre.  So much so that on the rare occasion that I do end up at a Steak & Shake, I don't order one. [1]

Freddy's burgers are nothing like Steak & Shakes.  Which isn't to say that they are better (or worse really) but more to say that they are a completely different brand of mediocre.

The meat in my burger had been smooshed so thin as to be essentially non-existent.  I didn't pay attention to exact amount of meat promised me, but whatever amount it was they got every millimeter of surface area out of that they could.  Much like the picture on the menu promises, the meat did hang over the edges of the bun by a substantial amount.  I'd rather they had taken that extra inch in circumference and added back onto the burger proper.

The fries at Freddy's were very similar to S&S.  Personally I am not a fan of shoestring fries.  So, I didn't find them to be that enticing, but if you do like ultra thin fries, these seemed to be of a serviceable variety.

Near the counter where you pick up your food, they had dispensers of "Freddy's Fry Sauce".  It is a vaguely pink/orange color that tasted to me like mayonnaise with a very small amount of ketchup in it.  Much less ketchup than your typical "special sauce" or thousand island dressing.  So it was really kind of just mayonnaise.  Which was okay.  But then again I like mayonnaise a lot.  However, it certainly wasn't anything that I need to rush out and get again.

I opted to switch out my drink for a shake made with their much touted frozen custard.  I got the chocolate variety.  When it first arrived, it was so thick that even the straw provided was insufficient to get any of it to my mouth.  And that is saying something as the straw they give you is nearly half an inch wide. [2]  A half hour later, after my meal, when I got back to my place of work, it was just starting to be drinkable.

The ultra-thickness of the shake was not itself necessarily a negative.  I'm fine with eating my shake by using the straw like a spoon if needed.  But the flavor was again, nothing to right home about.  It was completely ordinary.  Which given the rest of the meal was what I thought might save the entire Freddy's experience.  Because let's be honest, the real reason you go to Steak & Shake is the shakes.

The atmosphere at the restaurant wasn't great.  Nobody looked like they were having a good time or enjoying themselves.  This includes the employees and the patrons. [3]

As for the price, it was pretty high.  I got the number 1 combo, swapping a shake for the coke and it cost nearly $12.  For $12 I could have gone to Cheeseburger Bobby's and had a fantastic burger, great fries, a drink and a shake/sundae that was superior as well.

Freddy's slogan is "The taste that brings you back."

Not likely. [4]

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers: C-

[1] - I often get a patty melt.
[2] - And yes, I measured it.
[3] - It was kind of like what I imagine the waiting room to purgatory is like.
[4] - Alternate ended to this post:  Freddy's slogan is "The taste that brings you back."   Add the words "to Cheeseburger Bobby's" to that and it's true.

3 comments: